Some members are under the impression that Discovery Health Medical Scheme (DHMS) has been able to directly procure COVID-19 vaccines for its members. Please note that this is simply not the case.
The COVID-19 vaccination process is a Government and private sector collaboration. It will be based on Government’s rollout plans and centralised procurement of vaccines through Government.
No medical aids, including DHMS, will therefore be purchasing vaccines directly.
An excerpt from a recent DHMS communication reinforces this:
“Discovery has taken the steps to be ready to vaccinate medical scheme members in high volumes when the supply of vaccines becomes available from the Department of Health.”
As you can see, Discovery is very much also dependent on the Department of Health, its timelines and negotiations in order to supply vaccines to its members.
What are the next steps for Fedhealth members?
Similar to DHMS, Fedhealth is also actively planning the rollout of vaccines to our members. We will provide you with registration details, station locations and all relevant information in due course to ensure that the vaccination process can be rolled out as quickly and efficiently as possible.
Plans are being put in place so that Fedhealth members will be able to get vaccinated at the following sites:
• As already communicated to the industry in January 2021, the AfroCentric Group has the capacity to vaccinate a total of 150 000 people per day, thanks to its wide network of 3 000 registered nurses! Read the article here: < https://www.iol.co.za/business-report/companies/black-owned-group-ready-to-assist-with-vaccine-76532a4e-8cb5-4094-ba42-a47c0c4ceeb9 >
• The Scheme’s administrator, Medscheme, is constantly engaging with Business For SA, the Department of Health and Government.
• Fedhealth has already identified members according to their risk profile, and our systems are ready to track and monitor members as they get vaccinated. We are ready for Phase 2.
• The entire Fedhealth member base will be vaccinated in accordance to Government’s recommendations and procurement of vaccines.
• Fedhealth will pay all COVID-19 vaccinations from Risk.
You can rest assured that Fedhealth, our administrator Medscheme and the AfroCentric Group are working tirelessly to start vaccinating our members as soon as possible!