Hygge is totally huge right now, yes, search Hygge online and nearly 10 million results roll in!
So, you might not have heard about it yet, but this phonetically challenged (pronounced hue-guh) lifestyle has taken mental health by storm. So, what is Hygge about and why is it having a moment?
This Danish lifestyle trend is making waves and here’s what you need to know.
The Danes are, even in the depths of Denmark’s coldest months when there is very little daylight, consistently rated as the world’s happiest inhabitants. Why? It is frequently argued that this is all down to Hygge.
Hygge is not about grand gestures, but rather, embracing life’s little luxuries every day to foster a sense of familiarity, cosiness, contentness, and making the most of what life has to offer. Hygge is never about extravagance, indulgence yes, but extravagance, no. It’s not about wowing or impressing guests, it’s about creating a warm and inviting atmosphere that friends and family never want to leave. It’s imperfect and casual.
People are feeling uncertain and nervous in this crazy world and experience a deep primal need to take care of themselves. We can’t control outside events, but we can control ourselves. Truth is, the need to enjoy the small things in life has never been more prevalent – Hygge is about savouring that.
Sounds dreamy round about now, right? So, as July folds its icy arms around us, let’s get smitten with this Nordic trend. Of course, we have a few tips:
- Spend time with your nearest and dearest around the table. Keep it simple in the kitchen. A hearty soup… Delicious!
- Treat yourself to special warm drinks. Don’t just slug down that cup of coffee for a quick buzz in a paper cup with a plastic lid. Pour it into a beautiful mug. Make the very act of drinking something warm, special.
- Knit. Very trendy old school creativity!
- Don’t deprive yourself of too much. True, we’re all about health, but c’mon it’s winter! Have something decadent now and then.
- Bake a bread. The smell of a freshly baked rustic loaf wafting through the house is about as Hygge as it gets. Share it straight from the oven with family and friends.
- If you’re lucky enough to have a fireplace, get it going.
- Look out the window. There’s something utterly delightful about being safe, warm and dry.
- Wear your sweats, slippers and cosiest sweater whenever you can.
- Drink warm mulled booze. Forget about the cocktails. Have a steaming cup of gluhwein, guaranteed to add good cheer and a healthy “glow” to your cheeks.
- Fill your Facebook with Hygge. Use as many Hygge-full pictures as you can find and keep posting!
- Read. Hygge can be achieved alone. Cuddle up under a blanket and get stuck into a real book – not the electronic kind.
- Add texture to your home. Think chunky knitted cushions, faux fur throws and fluffy rugs.
- At work all day? Wear your most comfortable shoes (for once!), or take a cake to share.
- Smile. Hygge is about feeling safe, secure, happy. Wear a smile all day long, it’s brilliant!
- Take the time to just be.
Hygge might be the antidote to modern life. What do you think? Wouldn’t it be beautiful to have each day in a Hygge way?
Source: www.amara.com, www.topdreamer.com, hyggehouse.com, lifewithdee.com, www.newenglandinnsandresorts.com, howtohyggethebritishway.com, www.inthehills.ca, www.northcotemanor.co.uk, in.news.yahoo.com, time.com, www.countryliving.com, www.countryliving.co.uk, www.youtube.com, jenniferrizzo.com, www.craftberrybush.com
DISCLAIMER: The information on this website is for educational purposes only, and is not intended as medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. If you are experiencing symptoms or need health advice, please consult a healthcare professional.